[B-Greek] H AGAPH TOU QEOU

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Thu Jul 5 14:43:21 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth" <sethvm at gmail.com>
To: "Iver Larsen" <iver_larsen at sil.org>; <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] H AGAPH TOU QEOU

> Iver, et al.,
>
> Fascinating--I am looking forward to searching the Scriptures myself to see
> this trend with KURIOS and hO KURIOS.
>
> So far, I'm seeing this unfold with a few examples already, but after
> looking at several passages involving dialogue, am I correct in saying that
> dialogue doesn't seem to adhere to any so-called article "requirements" at
> all? For instance, in Matt. 8:21, one person says to the Lord Jesus, "KURIE,
> EPITREYON MOI PRWTON APELQEIN..." and in a passage just above that passage,
> someone remarks "DIDASKALE, AKOLOUQHSW SOI..."
>
> Thanks for the insight,
>
> --
> Seth Moran

Yes, when I said "regardless of case" I wasn't thinking of the vocative which is
a special case. The article is not used with a word that has a special vocative
form like KURIE no matter what the reference is. Sometimes a nominative form is
used in an address instead of a vocative, and in that case, the article may be
present. When KURIOS/KURIOI is used in an address, it refers to the sense
"master, lord" whether it occurs with or without the article.

Iver Larsen