[B-Greek] Dative participial clauses

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 3 13:53:02 EDT 2007

On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:11 AM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> But then, I believe that the dative participial phrase/
> clause preceding a verb that construes with a dative complement is
> not so extraordinary.

I agree.

Furthermore I don't see why we are forced to choose between Iver's
two options. The repetition of the dative pronoun AUTWi in Lk 8:27
Majority Text is an attempt to clarify but the second pronoun isn't
required and I don't think it changes anything. In other words, I
think the dative pre-verbal participle clause can function as a
temporal/local stage setting clause while also serving as the dative
argument of the main verb in the following clause. The notion that we
need to "assume" a deep structure AUTWi in the main clause strikes me
as both unnecessary and potentially confusing. How does it help use
to say that the second AUTWi is assumed when we can demonstrate with
sufficient examples that the second AUTWi isn't required?

Elizabeth Kline