[B-Greek] Inaccurate electronic versions

Alan Bunning bunning at verizon.net
Sat Jan 20 10:59:03 EST 2007


I got tired of the myriad of inaccuracies, sloppy scholarship, and
proprietary nature associated with the New Testament Greek texts and decided
to start collecting my own accurate electronic versions. I have gone through
hundreds of websites and several Bible programs collecting copies of the
various Greek texts. After I obtained several copies of a certain text, such
as Stephanus 1550 for example, I then normalized them all to the same format
and then had the computer compare them for differences. To my surprise, all
of them contained differences from each other. After a while, I could see
who was copying their electronic texts from whom and could distinguish
several root lines that were repeatedly being utilized. I then recorded all
of the differences and consulted with the printed version in various
libraries to determine which electronic version might be right. To my
surprise, NO SINGLE TEXT of any of the texts I collected was entirely right
-- some had most things right and but then would have other things wrong. I
repeated this process for each of the following texts so far:

 

Stephanus 1550

Westcott and Hort 1881

Scrivener 1891

Byzantine Majority 1991

Nestle-Aland 27/UBS4

 

Common sources such as the Online Bible, Broman, Unbound Bible, and CCAT all
had various errors. Not one single text for any version I examined was
entirely correct, although a few were really close. I have recorded where
each of the major texts I collected differed so that the providers could
correct their texts, and also have contacted a few of them. In some cases,
the providers did not actually have the text they claimed to have. The
corrected texts and the differences are all available on my website under
the "Greek Texts" link at:

 

http://mysite.verizon.net/bunning/SGNTI/

 

I would point out that this process of mine does not guarantee that the
texts I have placed on my website are error free, but only that they are
more accurate than all of the other texts I have compared. They are now at
least correct in all the areas where any of the texts differed from each
other.

 

I have since begun looking at the morphological parsings and links to root
words, and am even more appalled at the magnitude of errors. It is far, far
worse than I ever imagined. I am not talking about alternatives in the way a
word could be parsed by different interpreters, I am talking about internal
errors and wrong links to root words within the same text, and then those by
the same author across texts. What a mess! (There are also errors in verse
numbering that I am still working on).

 

If you believe you have an electronic copy of a Greek text that you believe
is correct AND you have compared it with the errors I already recorded (in
other words, it is not just another copy of one of the main copies I already
evaluated), I would be happy to compare it with the texts that I have.
Perhaps someone has also done some of this and can save me some trouble. I
would also be curious to see if the big money programs like Libronix, also
have the same errors because they copied from these other texts as their
source. 

 

Alan Bunning

bunning at verizon.net

 




More information about the B-Greek mailing list