[B-Greek] The divine name in Gk MSS

Elliot Poe Elliot.Poe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 20:52:59 EST 2006

Sorry for my shoddy work earlier; I was multitasking.   Let me preface
this by saying that I do not necessarily agree with this theory.

Webb Mealy is correct: Y at the end of QY is a vowel.  The theory goes
that eventually the idea of leaving out vowels for reverential names was
replaced by using just the first and last letter of the name.

The theory also suggests KY and QY (with a bar over them) were used to
translate the Tetragrammaton when the NT quoted the Hebrew Scriptures;
thus the Tetragrammaton might have been written in the original texts.

The following link will give a better example of this theory (where KY
with a bar over it is used for KURIOY in the 14th line):

http://images.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?rgn1=apis_cont;op2=And;rgn2=ic_all;op3=And;rgn3=ic_all;c=apis;back=back1164937147;q1=I%20corinthians;q2=6238;chaperone=S-APIS-X-3584%206238_79.TIF;evl=full-image;chaperone=S-APIS-X-3584%206238_79.TIF;quality=2;view=entry;subview=detail;cc=apis;entryid=x-3584;viewid=6238_79.TIF;start=1;resnum=2

Here is the article that started this idea:

Howard, George. "The tetragram and the New Testament." Journal of
Biblical Literature 96, no. 1 (1977): 63-83.

Yours,
Elliot Poe