[B-Greek] The divine name in Gk MSS

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Thu Nov 30 19:35:42 EST 2006

Dear Friends --

This is the first time I've heard of this, but there are many things I haven't heard of.

My own ignorance notwithstanding, this seems to me highly unlikely, especially given the euphemistic conventions in place well before the 1st Christian century.

I'm sure we're all familiar with PIPI (Hebrew YHWH, right to left and in somewhat similar-looking Greek characters) occasionally found in manuscripts of the Greek 70, but which was ultimately (standardly?) supplanted by KURIOS.

But NT appearances?  That's a new one.

Perhaps the two 4th-c MS mentioned here rely on this tradition, but if they do, I wonder if they exhibit other interesting variations.  Is there a reference for the research done on these texts?

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James Silver

Monk James
Orthodox Church in America