[B-Greek] Fwd: Re: Modern vs. Erasmian pronunciation, something new

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 30 19:16:43 EST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 7:00 PM, Carl Thomas wrote:

> After reading these post on Modern vs. Erasmian pronunciation I'm more
> confused about which I should use. At this point in my life (I'm
> 62) all
> I wanted to do is fulfill a life's dream and that is learn to read and
> do a little work in the Greek New Testament. So I'm setting here and
> still asking which should I use but I should have know that there
> would
> not be a consensus. Just like my 40 years of work in the church there
> has never been a consensus but then again that as also brought a
> lot of
> enjoyment and it has driven me to do a lot studying that I may not
> have
> done. So now the question remains. Which one? And can I decide that?
> :-)      Questions, questions.

In fact, ONLY YOU can decide which you want to use. OF COURSE
those who will express themselves on this issue will split over it.
For my part, I find it tedious to read again and again, after intervals
of a few short weeks, the same insistent urgings from the same persons
for the same view of the right pronunciation. But: when new beginners
keep asking that same question over and over again, we must expect
to see the same answers, I guess. But ultimately, YOU and ONLY YOU
must make the choice -- and which you choose is far less important if
you're not likely to communicate orally in Biblical Greek with others.
What you need is some consistent way of vocalizing the Greek as an
aid to learning vocabulary and thinking vocally about Greek texts.

The unquestionably GOOD thing about the recurrence of this
discussion is that it means more beginners continue to start out their
way toward reading Biblical Greek -- and they're serious about it
or they wouldn't be raising the question of pronunciation so
earnestly.