[B-Greek] Modern vs. Erasmian pronunciation, something new

Curtis Hinson curtis at curtishinson.com
Thu Nov 30 16:45:33 EST 2006

That certainly all rings a bell.  There is a mythology regarding
pronunciation that is deeply rooted and that flies in the face of a fair
examination of phonological evidence and language acquisition theory.
It is, in a word, closed-minded and un-scholarly.

My experience these past few years teaching off and on has been that
students who learn modern pronunciation from me have had no complaints
about understanding the accent, never having known any other.  Erasmian
students complain sometimes about a Greek accent when they hear it.
This observation makes me suspect that we are indeed creatures of habit,
even those with far more scholarly experience and background than I.  So
we should cultivate and teach good habits to begin with, instead of bad
ones, lest we later waste time defending systems that are merely bad
habits and not good scholarship or good pedagogy.

I've been thinking that English is a big mess.  You know, we have vocab
sourced from several different languages and one can't tell the
pronunciation of a word by looking at it's spelling, one just has to
know.  So why don't we pick a phonology from a source language and throw
out the others?  That way "hors d'oeuvre" will finally sound like "horse
doh-vrah", it's less work for students.  Or I guess instead we could
just pick some random alien phonology that has nothing to do with
English and use that.  Oh, wait, just kidding.  :-D

Bless the Name
Curtis Hinson
http://adfontes.ath.cx
http://curtishinson.com

--

My local weather at the time of this email:
28F (-2C), Light Snow and Windy

Server status:
 15:27:01 up 89 days, 14:16,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.01