[B-Greek] Rev. 22:1-2

Webb webb at selftest.net
Tue Nov 28 21:34:22 EST 2006

Dear Listees,

I note that there was a discussion of this passage a few years ago on the
list. I have a proposal for how to understand it that I'd like the group's
feedback on.

KAI EDEIXEN MOI POTAMON hUDATOS ZWHS

LAMPRON hWS KRUSTALLON

EKPOREUOMENON EK TOU QRONOU TOU QEOU KAI TOU ARNIOU EN MESWi THS PLATEIAS
AUTHS

KAI TOU POTAMOU ENTEUQEN KAI EKEIQEN XULON ZWHS

And he showed me the river of the water of life, as bright as crystal.

It was coming out from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of
its main street.

And from the river [to the main street], on either side [of the river], was
the tree of life.

This seems to make good sense to me, both conceptually, in terms of
plausible placement of things, and grammatically.

So we have a pretty main street with a river down the center of it: coming
lanes, trees, river, trees, going lanes.

Any comments? I take it that there aren't any major difficulties with
putting 2a on the end of 1-people more competent in Greek than I have taken
it that way.

Webb Mealy