[B-Greek] Jn 2.4 and translation practices

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 21:51:57 EST 2006

>From Aristophanes' _Acharnians_

W CANQIA SFWN D'ESTIN ORQOS EKTEOS
O FALLOS ECOPISQE THS KANHFOROU;
EGW D'AKOLOUQWN AiSOMAI TO FALLIKON;
SU D'W GUNAI QEWi M'APO TOU TEGOUS PROBA.

It doesn't seem too very Semitic to me.  And it acceptable to say "man", though it is used mainly as an exclamation (e.g., "Man, it's hot!") or to address males as "guys" and women as "women", but it isn't acceptable to say address a single woman as "woman."

george
gfsomsel
_________