[B-Greek] Audio Greek NT

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Mon Nov 27 20:16:31 EST 2006

Dear Friends --

There's ample palaiographic evidence from the Hellenistic period to demonstrate that what we consider 'modern' Greek pronunciation was well on its way before the New Testament was written.

Granted, the raising of many vowels and diphthongs to a sort of least-common-denominator HTA sound was sporadic and regional until at least the second Christian century, but Modern Greek phonemic values for both the Greek 70 and the NT were pretty firmly emplaced at the times of their being written.

Maybe we should use something like 'Erasmian' (Erasmus was there?) for 5th-c BC classical texts;  when reading hOMEROS or hESIODOS, all bets are off -- _pace_ professor Daitz.

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James Silver

Monk James
Orthodox Church in America