[B-Greek] Luke 1.20-21 What did he say?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Nov 26 20:24:29 EST 2006

Is it conceivable that you're talking about JOHN 1:20-21?
===========
gfsomsel at yahoo.com wrote:

 >19 KAI hAUTH ESTIN hH MARTURIA TOU IWANNOU hOTI APESTEILAN [PROS
AUTON] hOI IOUDAIOI EC hIERROSOUMWN hIEREIS KAI LEUITAS hINA
ERWTHSWSIN >AUTON, "SU TIS EI?"
 >20 KAI hWMOLOGHSEN KAI OUK HRNHSATO, KAI hWMOLOGHSEN hOTI EGW OUK
EIMI hO XRISTOS
 >21 KAI HROWTHSAN AUTON, "TI OUN?  SU HLIAS EI?" KAI LEGEI, "OUK
EIMI." "hO PROFHTHS EI SU?" KAI APEKRIQH, "OU."

 >Just what is John supposed to be denying here?  He denies being the
Messiah, and it would seem that he fairly clearly states that he is
not Elijah.  Does he then deny that he >is a prophet at all?  In the
question put to him after denying being Elijah he is asked " *** hO
PROFHTHS EI SU ** ?"  Are they asking whether he is Elijah again or
are they >asking whether he is a prophet at all?  Since the article
can be used to reference an item or person already mentioned, are
they asking "Are you the [i.e. 'THAT'] prophet?"  >A.T. Robertson in
_Word Pictures_ seems to be of the opinion that this refers to the
Deutonomic promise in Dt 18.15, and B.F. Westcott seems to be of the
same opinion

 >PROFHTHN EK TWN ADELFWN SOU hWS EME ANASTHSEI SOI KURIOS hO QEOS
SOU . . .

 >Yet, in his _A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of
Historical Research_, p 762 Robertson states

 >4. Second Mention (Anaphoric). The use of the article with the
second mention of a word is very frequent. Thus in Jo. 6:9, ARTOUS
KAI OYARIA, but in verse 11 TOUS >ARTOUS—KAI EK TWN OYARIWN. See Lu.
9:13, 16. Cf. hUDWR in Jo. 4:10 and TO hUDWR in verse 11. So MAGOI in
Mt. 2:1, but TOUS MAGOUS in verse 7; ZIZANIA in >13:25, but TA
ZIZANIA in verse 26. Cf. Ac. 9:4, 7; 9:11, 17; Jas. 2:2, 3; Rev.
15:1, 6. In Jo. 4:43, TAS DUO hMERAS, the article refers to verse 40.
Cf. Jo. 20:1 with 19:41; 12:12 >with 12:1; Heb. 5:4 with 5:1; 2 Cor.
5:4 with 5:1. In Ac. 19:13 we have PAULOS, but hO PAULOS in 19:15.
Völker (Syntax, p. 21 f.) finds the anaphoric use of the article
 >common enough in the papyri.
 >
 >Robertson, A. (1919; 2006). A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in
the Light of Historical Research (762). Logos.

_________

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/