[B-Greek] Standing in the sun?? (Rev. 19:17)

Webb webb at selftest.net
Fri Nov 24 19:30:43 EST 2006

KAI EIDON hENA AGGELOS ESTWTA EN TWi hHLIWi

Anybody have any idea what we're supposed to picture when we hear this? Is
the angel standing in front of the sun, but the disk of the sun is being
pictured as large enough that his height is less than its diameter? Some
translations have "on the sun", which would work. I don't like "in the sun"
because in English, "standing in the sun" pretty much means "standing in the
sunlight". It doesn't mean that, does it? Here's the only other occurrence
of EN TWi hHLIWi that I could find in the Greek biblical corpus:

KAI EIS TA PERATA THS OIKOUMENHS TA hRHMATA AUTWN EN TWi hHLIWi EQETO TO
SKHNWMA AUTOU (Ps. 18:5 LXX)

Webb Mealy