[B-Greek] Rev. 19:21--names written on what??

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Nov 24 17:27:52 EST 2006

On Nov 24, 2006, at 4:57 PM, Webb wrote:

> KAI EPI THN KEFALHN AUTOU DIADHMATA POLLA ECWN ONOMA GEGRAMMENON hO
> OUDEIS
> OIDEN EI MH AUTOS
>

> Given that neuter plural nouns are often treated grammatically as
> singular,
> I immediately took the "name written" as inscribed on each of the
> royal
> crowns, thus:
>

> .and on his head are many royal crowns. They have a name (or names,
> implicitly, the singular functioning as distributive) written on
> them, which
> nobody knows but him."

The reason this won't do is that the participle ECWN is masc. sg.
nom. -- it cannot possibly modify DIADHMA sg. or DIADHMATA pl. It can
only refer to the rider of the horse, although it is awkwardly
positioned -- another of the grammatical irregularities of this book
that we commonly refer to as "solecisms."