[B-Greek] Rev. 19:21--names written on what??

Webb webb at selftest.net
Fri Nov 24 16:57:57 EST 2006

KAI EPI THN KEFALHN AUTOU DIADHMATA POLLA ECWN ONOMA GEGRAMMENON hO OUDEIS
OIDEN EI MH AUTOS

Given that neuter plural nouns are often treated grammatically as singular,
I immediately took the "name written" as inscribed on each of the royal
crowns, thus:

.and on his head are many royal crowns. They have a name (or names,
implicitly, the singular functioning as distributive) written on them, which
nobody knows but him."

Looking at 35 English translations or so, I couldn't find a single one that
took it that way. But then.I read Lattimore:

"On his head are many diadems, inscribed with the name which no one knows
except himself."

I love it when Lattimore and I agree all by ourselves :)

Can anyone tell me why Lattimore and I can't be correct?

Webb Mealy