[B-Greek] Jn 2.4 and translation practices

Steve Westfall steve.westfall at comcast.net
Thu Nov 23 21:59:58 EST 2006

I make no pretence of being a lexicographer, but it seems to me that talk
about modern sensibilities and what sounds acceptable to us is completely
irrelevant and misguided.  The question is, how was the word used at the
time of composition?  What was the meaning conveyed by the word in the minds
of the authors and listeners during the time when the texts were composed?

How we speak about women in the twenty first century may stir us to ask
questions about ancient usage, but our usage is not determinative.
Lexicographers appears to have documented meanings corresponding to a range
of words in English or other languages.  Let's look at those for answers.

Steve Westfall