[B-Greek] Acts 4:33b CARIS and AUTOUS

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 20:46:14 EST 2006

I note that BDAG places XARIS as found in this passage among the passive usages in the sense of "a beneficent good will."  On the other hand it notes prior to giving any definitions that "It seems that XARIS is not always clearly differentiated in mng. fr. XARA; Apollodorus [II b.c.] . . . Charites are so called from XARA [joy], for poets freq. equate XARIS with XARA. Cp. the wordplay AcPl Ha 8, 7 XARAS KAI XARITOS the house was filled with gaiety and gratitude.)."  Perhaps it would simply indicate that everyone was happy ("great joy was among all of them").

george
gfsomsel
_________