[B-Greek] Acts 4:33b CARIS and AUTOUS

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Nov 22 20:01:27 EST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 7:50 PM, Oun Kwon wrote:

> Act 4:33b CARIS TE MEGALH HN EPI PANTAS AUTOUS
>
> What is sense of CARIS?  What is referred to by PANTAS AUTOUS - the
> apostles in the same verse or the whole group of the believers in the
> preceding verse?
>
> Cf. CEV:  God greatly blessed them all.
>
> Cf.  Zerwick & Grosvenor: '"great favor was on them" meaning they were
> held in high esteem. [It looks like they = the apostles here in the
> note in "A Grammatical analysis of the Geek New Testament"]

CARIS, so commonly Englished as "grace," is a difficult word to pin
down in the Greek because we don't really have an adequate English
equivalent of it. It refers to the reciprocal presentation and
reciprocation of gestures of good will by parties in relationship to
each other: a "favor" done by one to another, the "good will" or
"gratitude" or "thanks" evoked by such a gesture in the recipient.

That being the case, one might ask whether the sense of CARIS in the
text in question has more to do with the way that the believing
community acted toward outsiders or with the way that the receiving
community was reacted to by outsiders. I would guess that the latter
is what's underscored here: the believing community was very well
thought of by outsiders. But there's the reciprocal aspect of the
word CARIS: it is the behavior of the believing community that wins
the reciprocal good will of outsiders in relationship to them.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/