[B-Greek] Hebrews 13:17-18

Scott Stocking scottsox at conxxus.com
Tue Nov 21 23:54:08 EST 2006

Thank you all for your comments. George, you are right to point out the
connection with hUPEIKW, but that brings up the question of mutual
submission in Ephesians 5:21. Louw & Nida treat hUPEIKW and hUPOTASSOMAI in
the same entry, so is the connection between PEIQW and hUPEIKW one of love
and mutual respect or of a more authoritarian nature? I would lean toward
the former. Just as a husband demonstrates sacrificial love for his wife in
order that she should respect him, so leaders should demonstrate sacrificial
care and shepherding toward the flock in order that the flock might "have
confidence in" (TNIV) or "be persuaded by" (my translation) their leaders.

Scott Stocking
Pastor, Congregational Christian Church
Adjunct Professor, Lincoln Christian College