[B-Greek] Do English speakers overinterpret case?

Elliot Poe elliot.poe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 19:52:54 EST 2006

Thank you George and Eric for your helpful responses.

I agree that these categories are a "necessary evil."  I suppose the better
we understand Greek, the more we will wean ourselves from the strict
categories required by our own language.  I know some only desire the
ability to translate in order to explain the Greek text to English speakers
(or speakers of other languages).  These people perhaps rightly focus on the
strict categories of case, etc.  But others of us read the Greek to find out
what it means in Greek, and we hope we will eventually understand Greek
without having to translate it into English or use innumerable categories
(most of which seem to be a result of translating Greek into English) to
understand it.  As Eric suggests, some of us want to change our hard mastery
into soft mastery.

Thanks again,
Elliot Poe