[B-Greek] Do English speakers overinterpret case?

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 13:33:08 EST 2006

Carl has written on several occasions regarding the multiplication of categories with regard to the cases.  I suppose we do "overinterpret"; however, when the Greek uses a case and we are reading / translating that, we must attempt to make some sense of that IN ENGLISH (or in another language if that is our mother tongue or a target language).  We can understand some ambiguities in the Greek such as the fact that there was no distinction between a subjective genitive and an objective genitive though that might come as we learn more about the language.  In short, it's probably a necessary evil until we are able to read, write and converse in Greek on a fluent level.  I make no claim to having reached that point yet -- hopefully next week :-) .

george
gfsomsel
_________