[B-Greek] Jn 2.4 and translation practices

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Mon Nov 20 17:42:20 EST 2006

-------Original Message-------

From: babc2 at comcast.net
Date: 20/11/2006 3:13:55 PM

> [KAI LEGEI AUTHi HO IHSOUS, "TI EMOI KAI SOI, GUNAI? OUPW hHKEI hH
> hWRA MOU."
>
> When we encounter KURIOS in some texts we translate it as "sir" or
> "Mr.", but there seems to be no term of respect used for women. I
> would propose that GUNH in some contexts should be translated as
> "Miss" rather than "woman." It has always seemed rather disrespectful
> to hear Jesus address his mother as "woman" though it would seem that
> the disrespect is more in the English than in the Greek. The use of
> "Miss" or "Mrs." or "Lady" would eliminate this seeming lack of
> respect.

Or "Ma'am" would sound most polite, I think. "Miss" would hardly
Do for one's mother, and "Mrs" isn't usually used without a family
Name following.

The only problem is that "ma'am" is pretty much an Americanism.  "Mrs" can
be used in that way in Australia, and I think in England, but "ma'am" is
very rare.  I think the problem is that only the British royal family is
likely to call their mother by a term of respect - it just isn't the usual
practice in English and will sound as odd as calling Mary "woman".

Kevin Riley