[B-Greek] Hebrews 13:17-18

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Nov 20 12:32:11 EST 2006

Surely the fundamental sense involved in the root PEIQ/POIQ/PIQ (also
in its derivative PISTIS/PISTEUW forms) is consensus, assurance,
"going along with." The verb then, although commonly glossed as
"obey," really should have overtones that are closer to the sense
"win over" for the active; the middle PEIQOMAI, particularly when
used with a dative complement,  means "consent (to), "go along
(with)," or "trust (in)" and "trust" or "be confident" when used with
a clause stating a proposition. Or so I think. Some might think I'm
trying to bring the varied usages to tightly under a common
conception, but I think this works, more or less, in this instance.