[B-Greek] Hebrews 13:17-18

Scott Stocking scottsox at conxxus.com
Mon Nov 20 11:18:57 EST 2006

Lately I have become uncomfortable with the translation of PEIQESQE (PEIQW)
in Hebrews 13:17,
especially when the word is used again in vs. 18 with a completely different
meaning (at least in the NIV).
The NIV translates vs. 17 as "Obey your leaders,' while the TNIV is a little
less authoritarian:
"Have confidence in your leaders." Verse 18 (PEIQOMEQA) is the same in both:
"We are sure."
One of my lexica does list "obey" as a meaning in the passive, along with
several other meanings.
It cites Acts 5:36-37 as an example, although there the sense of the word in
that context seems more like "rally around."
My SPLANGCNON and my theology tell me to go with a translation that is less
authoritarian, something like:
"Be persuaded by your leaders," which is closer to the TNIV. In the NIV, vs.
17 is the only time
the word is translated "obey" in the NT. In other words, leaders should be
living such lives that those
who look to them as leaders would be convinced or persuaded to model their
Christian lives.
I have checked other translations and lexica, and they are diverse, as one
might expect.

Scott Stocking

Pastor, Congregational Christian Church

Adjunct Professor, Lincoln Christian College