[B-Greek] Col 2.6 and 7 Passive participles after Active Imperative

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Nov 20 06:01:34 EST 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 11:17 PM, kgraham0938 at comcast.net wrote:

> I'd take it more like continue what God has already started.  God
> rooted, planted, and secured i.e. put you in Christ, now continue
> to do so.

BDAG for the "passive" of hRIZOW indicates "become firmly rooted,
fixed" -- seems like a midlle sense to me. I expect others will
disagree, but what I would say here is what I've said before, there's
no good reason to attempt a differentiation between middle and
passive senses in a verb-form that fundamentally expresses coming
into a state, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, under one's own
power or through another's doing. There's no doubt that God is active
in this process but it seems to me that the text also clearly
indicates that these processes of rooting, upbuilding, confirming are
also the fruit of collaboration on the part of those here being
addressed. For this idea you might compare Phil 2:12-13 ... META
FOBOU KAI TROMOU THN hEAUTWN SWTHRIAN KATERGAZESQE; QEOS GAR ESTIN hO
ENERGWN EN hUMIN KAI TO QELEIN KAI TO ENERGEIN hUPER THS EUDOKIAS.