[B-Greek] Jn 2.4 and translation practices

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 21:28:24 EST 2006

[KAI LEGEI AUTHi hO IHSOUS, "TI EMOI KAI SOI, GUNAI?  OUPW hHKEI hH hWRA MOU."

When we encounter KURIOS in some texts we translate it as "sir" or "Mr.", but there seems to be no term of respect  used for women.  I would propose that GUNH in some contexts should be translated as "Miss" rather than "woman."  It has always seemed rather disrespectful to hear Jesus address his mother as "woman" though it would seem that the disrespect is more in the English than in the Greek.  The use of "Miss" or "Mrs." or "Lady"  would eliminate this seeming lack of respect.

george
gfsomsel
_________