[B-Greek] George Somsel - BDAG

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 13:20:12 EST 2006

That's a good idea.  Here's an entry chosen simply because I happened to have BDAG open to that spot.

APOSPAW fut. APOSPASW LXX, APOSPW Jer 12:14; 1 aor. APESPASA. Pass.: aor. APESPASQHN; pf. ptc. APESPASMENOI Is 28:9 (σπάω ‘draw, pull’; Pind., Hdt. et al.; SEG XLII, 613, 5; pap, LXX; ApcSed 10:4; Just., Tat.).
① lit. to pull/draw out, draw out A. T. MAXAIRAN draw a sword Mt 26:51. A. TOUS HLOUS APO T. XEIRWN draw out the nails fr. the hands GPt 6:21=ASyn. 347, 62.
② fig. to draw away from a place or point of view
ⓐ act. draw away, attract, proselyte (cp. Artem. 5, 43 TINA TINOS someone from someone; Josh 8:6; Jer 12:14; Jos., Vi. 321, Ant. 8, 277 APO T. QEOU) APO T. EIDWLWN fr. cult images 2 Cl 17:1 (cp. Sb 1161, 40; 6156, 32 [both I b.c.]; Polyaenus 8, 51 of the bringing out of one who has fled to a temple for refuge); A. TOUS MAQHTAS OPISW hEAUTWN draw away the disciples after them (and thereby alienate them) Ac 20:30 (cp. Aelian, VH 13:32; Diog. L. 2, 113 A. TINA APO TINOS τινος alienate pupils from someone, proselyte; PPetr III, 43 [3], 12; PCairZen 60, 3 [III b.c.]; BGU 1125, 9 [13 b.c.] PIL APOSPASW AUTON APO SOU; POxy 275, 22 [66 a.d.]). EIS TO APO T. hAMARTIWN APOSPASQHNAI so that they might be wrested from their sins AcPlCor 2:9.
ⓑ pass. in mid. sense A. APO TINOS tear oneself away Ac 21:1; Hs 6, 2, 3.—Withdraw (Diod S 20, 39; Job 41:9; POxy 275, 22 [66 a.d.]; Jos., Bell. 2, 498; 6, 379) APO TINOS Lk 22:41.—DELG s.v. SPAW. M-M.

Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature. "Based on Walter Bauer's Griechisch-deutsches Wr̲terbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments und der frhchristlichen [sic] Literatur, sixth edition, ed. Kurt Aland and Barbara Aland, with Viktor Reichmann and on previous English editions by W.F. Arndt, F.W. Gingrich, and F.W. Danker." (3rd ed.) (120). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

First, we see the lemma (dictionary form) followed by various forms.  Some of these forms are identified by where they appear such as Jer 12.14 in the LXX, Pindar, Herodotus, Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum, Tatian so that we have a range from the 5th c. B.C. through the 2nd c. A.D. and from poetry (Pindar) to history (Herodotos) to inscriptions (SEG) to intertestamental apocalyptic writings (Apocalypse of Sedrac) to Christian apologetic (Justin) and including translation Greek (LXX).

1. The first sense -- "to draw out" as in "to draw out a sword" or nails with citations from the N.T. representing this usage.  It is also used in the Gospel of Peter (an early Christian apocryphal work) which is found in the Aland _Synopsis Quatuor Evangeliorum_

Then other uses are given with their citations.  The abbreviations can be found in the various lists found at the beginning of the lexicon.  Note finally that MM is listed.  This is Moulton & Milligan _The Vocabulary of the Greek New Testament Illustrated from the Papyri and Other Non-literary Sources_.  This contains much information on usage in the casual writings of everyday people found at Oxyrhynchus as well as other material.  I recall that MM was cited in the 2nd ed., and I wouldn't be surprised if I were to be told that it had been cited prior to that as well.

george
gfsomsel
_________