[B-Greek] George Somsel - BDAG

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 18 21:54:54 EST 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 5:10 PM, Denise Parkes wrote:

> Shouldn't a lexicon of the NT be based only on the NT and
> literature in use
> when it was written in 1st Century Palestine?

I should hope not. Any serious lexicon is going to look at the
history of the word not just the sources from the immediate time
period of the text in question. I assume Danker took into
consideration the classical and even Homeric use of some words.
However I don't rely on Danker to do this work for me. I make use of
the standard lexicons from Homer through the patristic period. LS
intermediate is my constant companion and I am using it now with the
NT more than I used to. When things get tough I look at LSJ. Danker
is great but he isn't enough.

Elizabeth Kline