[B-Greek] George Somsel - BDAG

Curtis Hinson curtis at curtishinson.com
Sat Nov 18 20:19:59 EST 2006

Greetings Denise,

Since your message was posted to the list I will throw in a couple of
cents.  I am not lexicographer but I have the understanding that any
extant bit of Greek text, whether formal, informal, or scrawled on a
bathroom wall, is fair game for understanding the context and semantic
range of the word.  Your message causes me to wonder if you've actually
picked up BDAG and used it: if you do, you will see that it doesn't try
to give a word one meaning for all time, but generally gives a long list
of usages from different writers and periods.

Your question about the time period of the Greek addressed makes sense
in general, but not in light of BDAG since BDAG is so meticulous, to the
point of often quoting sources to demonstrate usages of a word.  To put
a point on it, if there are differences between the NT usage and the way
later Christian writers used words (and there often are, of course),
that can be determined by looking at BDAG or the sources it cites.

Bless the Name
Curtis Hinson
http://adfontes.ath.cx
http://curtishinson.com