[B-Greek] Word Definitions in Greek to English Lexicons?

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Sat Nov 18 16:19:23 EST 2006

Technically, this is a lexicography question, and outside list boundaries, but I doubt that the mod's will mind a quick answer.  Now, at the risk of oversimplification, essentially lexicographers read lots and lots of Greek and get to know the language really well.  Then they look for every possible context they can find the word, to determine the range of usage, and from that they generate their glosses.  Problems come in with hapax legomena and rare usages, and then must one turn to etymology and cognate languages for clues if the context is insufficiently clear.

Lexicons are descriptive, and not prescriptive.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Adjunct Faculty & IT Support
The Center for Urban Theological Studies
http://www.cuts.edu
Classics Instructor, The American Academy
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
And my site:
http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry