[B-Greek] Translation/Defintion of Porneia

Edward Andrews edandrews at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 18 13:57:11 EST 2006

Harry:

(John 4:16-17). . . He said to her: "Go, call your husband and come to this
place." 17 In answer the woman said: "I do not have a husband." Jesus said
to her: "You said well, 'A husband I do not have.'

A married man is denoted by the Greek term a·ner´ (male person). However, it
can also mean "man" or "male person." It is the context of the surrounding
words as you pointed out that helps one to decide which meaning a·ner´ may
carry.

With Greek we are not unlocking an unknown language.  Most words that
survive long enough acquire many specific meanings and additional implied
ones. The meaning of some words can have a dramatic change within a couple
hundred years (e.g. ha´des in 400 BCE as opposed to the first century CE).
In 1611 the English word "let" meant to "stop" or "restrain."

To discover the specified meaning of ancient words, most scholars follow
three methods.  The first method is the study of how a word was used in the
Septuagint, apostolic fathers, every day writings and so on.  The second
method is the study of synonyms (phi·le´o and a·ga·pa´o). The third method
is the historical roots of the word (less frequently today though).

I think it might be best if you chose a real example from the Greek text and
elaborate on what you are trying to get across.

Edward Andrews