[B-Greek] Luke 19:31

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Nov 18 09:33:40 EST 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 6:45 AM, George F Somsel wrote:
> Iver,
>
> When we read these accounts, we really must try to understand them
> as the original readers might have understood them. ...

This discussion has -- perhaps from the initial query --  bordered
upon the realm of hermeneutics -- theory of interpretation. There's
little or no confusion or disagreement about what the Greek text as
Greek text can mean; the question is how to make sense of the verse
in question in its contexts -- and that involves implicit or explicit
assumptions about how the passage as a whole must be approached, what
necessary presuppositions must be taken into account with regard to
the relationship of the gospel accounts to each other and to an
intelligible historical context, etc., etc. These are matters upon
which there is a considerable range of perspectives held by list-
members, some of them irreconcilably at odds -- particularly inasmuch
as some may suppose that their own perspective is the only reasonable
and "obvious" perspective. That is a reason why we steer clear of
hermeneutical discussion. I would urge that Iver and George -- and
any other interested parties -- take this discussion off-list if they
wish to continue with it -- please.

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu or cwconrad2 at mac.com