[B-Greek] Translation/Defintion of Porneia

Harry Jones hjbluebird2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 17:20:27 EST 2006

Hello Ted,

  Well I do wonder where the lexicons get their definitions from? Is it just guess work? How reliable are they on accuracy?

  Someone who posted not too long ago, came close to bring that subject up.

  Best Regards,

  Harry Jones

"shoes6 at juno.com" <shoes6 at juno.com> wrote:
  Harry, George, and others:

I'm taking a dangerous step, disagreeing with my betters, but here
goes. George Somsel quoted a passage (Revelation 2:20, it seems) which
he uses as evidence that PORNEIA can refer to idolatry. While I agree
that the concepts of immorality and idolatry are *linked* throughout
the Bible, I do not find this passage to offer grammatical (or other)
proof that PORNEIA can *mean* idolatry. Could we not, just as easily,
translate the passage as:
" . . . to commit sexual sin, and [also] to eat idolatrous offerings."
Thus the two acts are mentioned together, but not necessarily
identified as the same thing. I realize this is a point of
interpretation. I'm not saying that my interp is right; only that
George hasn't proved his case yet.

Ted Shoemaker

What blind spot? I don't see any blind spot!