[B-Greek] Luke 19:31

Carlton Winbery winberycl at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 17 13:24:28 EST 2006

George Somsel wrote:

>First, let's get the text before us again.
>
>KAI EAN hUMAS ERWTAi, "DIA TI LUETE?" hOUTWS ERITE hOTI "hO KURIOS
>AUTOU XREIAN EXEI."
>
>What I am exploring here is the reason for the statement "hO KURIOS
>AUTOU XREIAN EXEI."  This would seem to presuppose that anyone who
>asked would be aware of to whom "hO KURIOS" refers and would have no
>objection to Jesus' use of the animal.  The problem is that we are
>not told that this is the case.  While there is generally an economy
>of expression in the gospels in particular, they do generally
>contain all of the information which we need to understand them.
>If, however, the statement is somewhat ambiguous so that it could
>refer to either Jesus as hO KURIOS or to the owner of the animal,
>then the answer might be understandable as being sufficient.  I feel
>very uncomfortable ASSUMING that Jesus had some prior contact with
>the people of this village and was known to them.  Furthermore, the
>simple designation as hO KURIOS is not in itself identifying if it
>does not refer to the owner of the animal since it was a common form
>of address.
>
>george
>gfsomsel
>_________

George, I'm afraid that what you are looking for is not in the Greek
text. There are a number of places where the gospel writers leave us
to presume. I was addressing your question about the relationship
between the pronoun AUTOU and KWMHN. That AUTOU has as its antecedent
PWLON is obvious in the text. Matthew uses AUTWN because he is
dealing with two animals one of which is a male. That keeps the
concord in tact.

Carlton Winbery

--
Carlton L. Winbery