[B-Greek] Luke 19:31

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 11:49:25 EST 2006

First, let's get the text before us again.

KAI EAN hUMAS ERWTAi, "DIA TI LUETE?" hOUTWS ERITE hOTI "hO KURIOS AUTOU XREIAN EXEI."

What I am exploring here is the reason for the statement "hO KURIOS AUTOU XREIAN EXEI."  This would seem to presuppose that anyone who asked would be aware of to whom "hO KURIOS" refers and would have no objection to Jesus' use of the animal.  The problem is that we are not told that this is the case.  While there is generally an economy of expression in the gospels in particular, they do generally contain all of the information which we need to understand them.  If, however, the statement is somewhat ambiguous so that it could refer to either Jesus as hO KURIOS or to the owner of the animal, then the answer might be understandable as being sufficient.  I feel very uncomfortable ASSUMING that Jesus had some prior contact with the people of this village and was known to them.  Furthermore, the simple designation as hO KURIOS is not in itself identifying if it does not refer to the owner of the animal since it was a common form of address.

george
gfsomsel
_________