[B-Greek] QEMIS ESTIN + infinitive

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 16 19:32:15 EST 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 5:32 PM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> Looking at the a Hymn to Zeus which appears to be quoted in Pauls
> Mars Hill address I ran across a QEMIS ESTIN + infinitive
> construction sans ESTIN.
>
> Cleanthes Phil., Fragmenta, Fr. 1, l. 3
> CAIRE: SE GAR KAI PASI QEMIS QNHTOISI PROSAUDAN.
>
> I am assuming that ESTIN is optional in this construction. The LEH
> (LXX Lexicon) entry on QEMIS places ESTIN in parentheses (ESTIN).

Right. The most memorable instance I know is when Socrates in Plato's
Apology (21b) asks what Apollo can possibly mean by calling him --
Socrates -- most wise. "he surely can't be lying -- it's not
permissible for him (to lie)" TI OUN POTE LEGEI FASKEI EME SOFWTATON
EINAI? OU GAR DHPOU YEUDETAI GE: OU GAR QEMIS AUTWi.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/