[B-Greek] Rev. 8:9--what died?

Webb webb at selftest.net
Wed Nov 15 19:08:37 EST 2006

Thanks, Bert. That's useful.

The issue I'm stuck on in relation to Rev. 8:9 is not so much what the Greek
word ECWN YUCHN might mean to non-Jews at some time or another (although
that is potentially interesting and important), but what Jews such as John
would naturally have meant when they used it in relation to non-human life.

A friend read to me from an orthodox Jewish commentary on Genesis this
morning, and one of the medieval commentators like Nachmanides was saying
that "the swarming things" (as in Gen. 1:20, "let the sea swarm with living
creatures") were taken as things that move close to the ground--typically
reptiles and moles and so on. If the LXX translators use hERPETOS because
that is their understanding of the verse, then that raises anew the question
of whether any of the language in Gen. 1 refers to fish at all IN THE MIND
OF JEWISH INTERPETERS OF THE HEBREW TANACH. Lev. 11:10 seems to make a clear
distinction between the "swarming things" in the waters and fish. I have an
email out to a scholar of Judaism in the Hellenistic period about this.

Speaking of fish, this whole train of thought may turn out to be a red
herring, but I want to rule out the possibility that Rev. 8:9 has mammalian
and other air-breathing life (such as turtles and frogs) exclusively in
mind.

Webb Mealy