[B-Greek] Translation/Defintion of Porneia

JCG jcgarciaegroup at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 14:35:45 EST 2006

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

In translating this, I took into consideration what makes the most sense.
IMHO, translating it to "whoredom" seems the most fitting.  Jesus
seems to be distinguishing adultery from whoredom because I'm
assuming he would want reconciliation if it were a single act of adultery.
But in the case of a spouse thats given himself over to the life of whoredom
or "playing the whore" (as said in the OT),  the innocent spouse should not
have to stay in that marriage but can divorce and be freed.

Does this reasoning seem faulty?

verses in question are:
Matt 5:32, 19:9

-jcg