[B-Greek] Translation/Defintion of Porneia

Harry Jones hjbluebird2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 10:37:02 EST 2006

Hello Ann,

  Shouldn't the definition(I have a problem with glosses,ie, the context can accept different definitions) of PORNEIA be based on it meaning in NT times?

  Best Regards,

  Harry Jones

Ann Nyland <nyland at tsn.cc> wrote:
  It also refers to idolatry. "Fornication" can mean different things in our
society of our times - these days, it is often taken to include living
together without marriage, but in NT times, living together was legal
marriage, and the translation of PORNEIA is more problematical as it refers
also to idolatry, and prostitution, and often the two were linked. Jewish,
Greek and Roman marriage customs in 1st century Palestine were nothing like
marriage customs in USA, UK or Australia today, and that needs to be taken
into account when considering "marriage" along with word meaning in the N.T.
Ann Nyland