[B-Greek] Rev. 8:9--what died?

Webb webb at selftest.net
Tue Nov 14 13:25:15 EST 2006

Thanks, Iver--the second passage, 16:3, is 100% relevant. What I need to
know now is, were fish considered in first-century Jewish thinking to be
"living souls", cf. PASA YUCH ZWHS (Rev. 16:3), as human beings and other
air-breathing animals are (cf. Gen. 1:30 LXX, cf. Gen. 2:7 LXX)? I have a
strong feeling that Jews wouldn't have seen fish and insects and crustaceans
and mollusks and worms and so on as belonging in that category. But I can't
remember where I learned that.

Webb Mealy