[B-Greek] EIS CRISTON, 2 Cor 1:21

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:10:25 EST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 12:51 PM, Paul Toseland wrote:

> hO DE BEBAIWN hHMAS SUN hUMIN EIS CRISTON KAI CRISAS hHMAS QEOS.
>
> What exactly is the sense of EIS in the phrase EIS CRISTON? They (Paul
> and his addressees) must have been BAPTISAMENOS

BAPTISQENTES?

> EIS CRISTON, and there
> the preopsition speaks of transfer from one spiritaul sphere to
> another
> - INTO Christ. But those who are being confirmed / established EIS
> CRISTON are, presumably, already EN CRISTWi. Any thoughts?

For what it's worth, it seems to me that Paul doesn't think of being
EN CRISTWi as a static but rather as a dynamic condition of growth.
Cf. his prayer for the Philippians (Phil 1:9-11) and his description
of his own internal "dying and rising" in Phil 3:12-16 and his
admonition to others against supposing that they are TELEIOI. Indeed,
although others have disagreed with me, I've noted in this forum
before that I think his comment on the "perfection" of the
congregation in Corinth is not devoid of a bit of irony or even
sarcasm (1 Cor 1:4-7):

EUCARISTW TWi QEWi MOU PANTOTE PERI hUMWN EPI THi CARITI TOU QEOU THi
DOQEISHi hUMIN EN CRISTWi IHSOU, hOTI EN PANTI EPLOUTISQHTE EN AUTWi,
EN PANTI LOGWi KAI PASHi GNWSEI, KAQWS TO MARTURION TOU CRISTOU
EBEBAIWQH EN hUMIN, hWSTE hUMAS MH hUSTEREISQAI EN MHDENI CARISMATI ...

But his harangue against them culminates in his judgment of their
achievement in 1 Cor 3:2-3: GALA hUMAS EPOTISA, OU BRWMA; OUPW GAR
EDUNASQE. ALL' OUDE ETI NUN DUNASQE, ETI GAR SARKINOI ESTE. hOPOU GAR
EN hUMIN ZHLOS KAI ERIS, OUCI SARIKIKOI ESTE KAI KATA ANQRWPON
PERIPATEITE?

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/