[B-Greek] Rev. 8:9--what died?

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Tue Nov 14 02:45:56 EST 2006

It would be helpful to add a bit of context:

KAI EGENETO TO TRITON THS QALASSHS hAIMA,
 KAI APEQANEN TO TRITON TWN KTISMATWN TWN EN THi QALASSHi, TA ECONTA YUCAS, KAI TO TRITON TWN PLOIWN
DIEFQARHSAN

When one third of the sea was turned into blood, it is natural to assume that all the living
creatures in that third part of the sea would die. I would understand an implied TOUT' ESTIN before
TA ECONTA YUCAS, the things having life/soul. It relates to the creatures - TA KTISMATA - but in a
loose sense. I see no reason to restrict the application to the air-breathing animals in the sea,
but rather all living beings.
That a third of the ships were destroyed must be caused by some other implied disturbance in the
water that would destroy the ships rather than the marine life.

It may be of interest to compare with Rev 16:3:

KAI hO DEUTEROS EXECEEN THN FIALHN AUTOU EIS THN QALASSAN, KAI EGENETO hAIMA hWS NEKROU, KAI PASA
YUCH ZWHS APEQANEN, TA EN THi QALASSHi.

And the second (angel) poured out (the contents) of his bowl into the sea, and it became blood like
of a dead (person), and every "soul" of life died, the things (living beings) in the sea.

To complete the sense of TA we could either supply the general word "thing" or in this context we
could suggest ZWiA - a word that is particularly common in Rev (6 out of 8 occurrences in the NT are
in Rev.) It refers back to PASA YUCH ZWHS, but it does not agree with it in gender.

Iver Larsen