[B-Greek] 2 Samuel 6:20 Septuagint

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 13 22:59:59 EST 2006

I would suggest that you consult NETS at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/ Though this is a provisional
edition, it would seem to be a good place to start. NETS (Bernard A.
Taylor) translates as follows:

And Dauid returned to bless his household, and Melchol the daughter of
Saoul came out to meet Dauid and blessed him and said, “How the king of
Israel has honored himself today, who was uncovered today in the eyes
of his own slaves’ maids, as one of the disrobed dancers uncovers
himself!”

That strikes me as a responsible translation.

Since Charles Thomson says that he translated the LXX as though it were
an original composition and not a translation, one might expect
interpretive liberties.
Al

On Nov 13, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Amos Bender wrote:

> Amos Bender
> bendersa at earthlink.net
> EarthLink Revolves Around You.
>
> I was studying ancient Jewish traditions and manners and was sort of
> surprised at the Greek text of 2 Sam 6:20b.  I now am wondering what
> others would give as a close word for word or literal translation of
> this text which in the Septuagint reads, "...TI  DEDOXASTAI  SHMERON
> hO  BASILEUS  ISRAHL,  hOS OPEKALUFQH  SAMERON  EN  OFQALMOIS
> PAIDISKWN  TWN  DOULWN  hEAUTOU, KAQWS  APOKALUPTETAI  APOKALUFQEIS
> hEIS  TWN  ORCOUMENWN"
>
> The actual Greek text can be viewed on this web page toward the bottom
> of the page,
> http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1163441024-541.html#20
>
> I thought this Greek verse was quite easy to read, yet I cannot find
> any comment or information about this Septuagint Scripture on the web.
>  Thus I would like to see how others might translate this text.
>
> Further my English translation of this Septuagint text is very
> different than the Thomson's Septuagint translation which my friend
> has, while I believe my friends translation is much more correct than
> my Septuagint's translation.  Yet I believe even the Thomson
> translation does not give all the words and meaning of this verse.
>
> God Bless
> Amos Bender
>
> ---
> B-Greek home page: http://ibiblio.org/bgreek

—
Albert Pietersma
Professor of Septuagint and Hellenistic Greek
Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations
University of Toronto
Home: 21 Cross Street,
Weston ON Canada M9N 2B8