[B-Greek] EILHFEN, Rev. 8:5 -- "aoristic"?

yancywsmith yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 13 16:10:53 EST 2006

Webb,
	M. Zerwick, Biblical Greek (§289) has a note on this EILHFA and
ERHKA (Rev 5:7; 8:5; 7:14; 19:3). The Greek of NT period papyri show
that the aorist forms of EILHFA and EIRHKA were known. Zerwick's
explanation of the use of perfect here is that they are not clearly
reduplicated and that, e.g. in the case of EILHFA, speakers of Greek
as a second language, as was the writer of Rev, would easily confuse
EILHFA and ELABON, simply seeing them as two different ways to say
the same thing. Angelo Lancellotti, in Sintassi Ebraica nel Greco
dell'Apocalisse suggests further that underlying this "confusion of
tenses" is the author's Aramaic or Hebrew mother tongue. As Greek
developed perfects went through a process of loosing some of its
specific senses of "state of affairs" resultant upon "past action"
and became a simple narrative tense like the aorist. So, a certain
amount of fuzziness might be expected, but, remarkably, most perfects
in the New Testament can be understood in traditional ways. This has
lead scholars to find explanations for why some perfects get used
like aorists, as in this case for example PEPRAKA (PIPRASKW) Mt 13:43
that otherwise has no aorist active at all; ESCHKOTA (in Mk 5:15)
refers to a completed (an defunct state of affairs, from the point of
view of the narrative time, previous to the narrative tense of the
sentence, like our pluperfect). ESCON would have been understood as
"got," so it wouldn't communicate any sense at all.

Yancy Smith

yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
5636 Wedgworth Rd.
Fort Worth, TX 76133