[B-Greek] Philippians 3: 10-11

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 9 05:50:42 EST 2006

On Nov 8, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Brinkley, Thomas David wrote:

> I am working through Philippians 3: 10-11 and had several
> questions.  Here is the text, going back to verse 8 where the
> sentence begins
>
> 8 ALLA MENOUNGE KAI hHGOUMAI PANTA ZHMIAN EINAI DIA TO hUPERCON THS
> GNWSEWS CRISTOU IHSOU TOU KURIOU MOU, DI hON TO PANTA EZHMIWQHN,
> KAI hHGOUMAI SKUBALA, hINA CRISTON KERDHSW 9 KAI hEUREQW EN AUTWi,
> MH ECWN EMHN DIKAIOSUNHN THN EK NOMOU ALLA THN DIA PISTEWS CRISTOU,
> THN EK QEOU DIKAIOSUNHN EPI THi PISTEI, 10 TOU GNWNAI AUTON KAI THN
> DUNAMIN THS ANASTASEWS AUTOU KAI {THN} KOINWNIAN [TWN] PAQHMATWN
> AUTOU SUMMORFIZOMENOS TWi QANATWi AUTOU, 11 EI PWS KATANTHSW EIS
> THN EXANASTASIN THN EK NEKRWN

(I've corrected the transcription in a few places where "V" is
inconsistently used for Nu instead of "N.")

> My questions are
> 1. Does TOU GNWNAI AUTON function as a purpose clause in relation
> to hINA CRISTON KERDHSW in verse 8 and KAI hEUREQW EN AUTWi in
> verse 9? If not, what is its function?

I think it is; this is not really quite an anacoluthon, but it comes
close to one; I think that this purpose infinitive (TOU GNWNAI AUTON)
resumes hINA CRISTON KERDHSW KAI hEUREQW EN AUTWi and that it is
already prefigured in TO hUPERECON THS GNWSEWS CRISTOU IHSOU which is
deemed the value that cheapens all other things that might be thought
valuable.

> 2. is the first KAI functioning normally as a coordinating
> conjuction with the second KAI or could it be epexegetical as per
> some commentators and if so, how often is that function seen in the
> NT?

Not clear which KAI you're referring to.

> 3. Are the two nouns THN DUNAMIN and {THN} KOINWNIAN simply direct
> objects of the infinitive TOU GNWNAI

Yes, I think so.

> and FINALLY
>
> 4. How is the phrase EIS THN EXANASTASIN to be taken?  "to the
> resurrection" or simply "the resurrection"

It clearly construes with KATANTHSW; KATANTAW is an intransitive verb
and so must be completed with a prepositional phrase indicating end/
goal of movement. So whether you say "to" or "at" with "the
resurrection" depends on whether you English KATANTHSW as a
transitive verb ("reach/attain") or as an intransitive verb ("arrive
at").

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/