[B-Greek] KURIOS hO QEOS hO PANTOKRATWR (Rev. 4:8)

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Nov 8 16:29:48 EST 2006

Dear Webb,

I do not think you are well informed in this case. In all (there are not
many) the LXX and LXX-like manuscripts we know from B.C.E. and down to 50
C.E. we find YHWH in old Hebrew or Aramaic characters or as the Greek
phonetic transcription IAW. There is no clear evidence that YHWH was
substituted by KURIOS in Greek texts of this time. In Qumran YHWH was not
pronounced, but the substitute the people used was not "ADONAI" but "EL".
Both "ADONAI" and YHWH are used in the Hebrew Bible with reference to the
creator, but "ADONAI" is not used as a *substitute* for YHWH. I am not aware
of any clear evidence from before 50 C.E. that "ADONAI" was used in Hebrew
texts as a substitute for YHWH. In the rabbinic literature, some passages
say that YHWH was no longer used at an early date; other passages show that
it continued to be used down to the second century C.E. So, if we look at
the evidence, we cannot even exclude the possibility that YHWH was used by
the common people in everyday speech in the days of Jesus. We should
remember that the Masoretes who substituted YHWH with "ADONAI" lived in the
second half of the first millennium C.E. We should not extrapolate their
views back into the last centuries B.C.E. or the first century C.E. But we
have to rely on the evidence from this time.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo