[B-Greek] KURIOS hO QEOS hO PANTOKRATWR (Rev. 4:8)

Webb webb at selftest.net
Wed Nov 8 14:43:27 EST 2006

Dear Doug,

You've got it backwards. When the LXX translators read YHWH, they translated
it as KURIOS, which corresponds to ADONAI (Hebrew for "Lord"), the QERE
('what is read'), which was always read aloud when YHWH stood in the Hebrew
text. My understanding is that by the time of the LXX, pronunciation of YHWH
had already become strictly taboo in orthodox Judaism. It would thus be a
move peculiar in the extreme to find KURIOS in the text and to render it as
YHWH.

Webb Mealy

p.s. this sort of thing is what I said I didn't want to talk about in my
original posting.

  _____