[B-Greek] Subject: main point: reading aloud, consonant clusters, modern pronunciation

CTCE jfs at jfsanders.com
Tue Nov 7 07:23:59 EST 2006

If I may I wish to add one more perspective on this issue.

Let me give an example of my thinking.  I am in China.  There are many
people from all over the globe that come here to learn the Chinese language.
Many of them, unfortunately learn the vocabulary and grammar but still
cannot make the Chinese people understand them.  That is because they do not
have the rhythm or melody (I hope these two words convey my meaning) of the
language.  It just does not sound like it is Chinese, rather it sounds as if
it is German or French or English (or whatever).

If  one sounds the Greek text to themselves, then it makes no difference
what values you give the letters.  But if you publish the sounds or make
public your reading, then I would think that it ought to sound "Greek".  I
do not know if any one has attempted to reconstruct that rhythm or melody,
but I doubt it sounds like modern German, French, English, Chinese, or
whatever.

I also would like to thank Dr. Buth for putting the paper on Koine
pronunciation on the internet.  At least I hope he put it there, because
that is where I purloined it.  I also would like to thank Drs. Conrad,
Decker, and others for all the stuff on the www (including Funks grammar,
the moods and tenses, etc.).  For individuals as myself, it is a godsend.
Again, thank you.

John Sanders
Suzhou, China