[B-Greek] A Question on 1 Timothy 2:6 and the meaning of, ANTILUTRON ?

Webb webb at selftest.net
Mon Nov 6 22:55:20 EST 2006

Dear Monk James,

"Those phrases are distinctions without a difference, no?"

I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean, do I think there's hardly any difference between Matt.
20:28//Mk 10:45 and 1 Tim. 2:6, the answer is, "Correct". I think the two
are so close as to be equivalent. They're just slightly different wordings
of the same saying. "Gave himself" and "gave his soul" are different ways of
saying the same thing.

If you mean that "instead of" and "in exchange for" are "distinctions
without a difference", the answer is, "Incorrect", insofar as I was
responding to your proposal that ANTI implies "instead of money". Jesus
didn't give himself instead of money; he gave himself up for execution in
exchange for people whose lives were forfeit to execution under the Jewish
Law. Unlike the Code of Hammurabi, the Old Testament Law doesn't provide a
way for a person guilty of a capital offense to ransom himself with money.
ANTI in these sayings shouldn't be connected with money. It's a person
offering his life in a prisoner exchange.

Webb Mealy