[B-Greek] A Question on 1 Timothy 2:6 and the meaning of, ANTILUTRON ?

Webb webb at selftest.net
Mon Nov 6 18:08:31 EST 2006

For what nuance if any the prefix ANTI is likely to add to LUTRON, it
wouldn't hurt to compare what happens to the meaning of various familiar
verbs when the prefix ANTI is added to them.

See, for example:

BALLW and ANTIBALLW
GRAFW and ANTIGRAFW
KALEW and ANTIKALEW
METREW and ANTIMETREW

All of these gain some sense of "in exchange" or "in return". Given that
LUTROW means to buy someone out of captivity, and LUTRON means the price of
buying them out of captivity, there is already an implicit "this (money or
something valuable) in return for that" (the person or persons held in
captivity) in the whole notion of ransoming. The prefix ANTI fits right in.

As Barry said, looking at all the possible meanings of the preposition ANTI
on its own is not a safe procedure.

If there is some theological reason why the idea of "correspondence" should
be preferred, perhaps someone will explain that to me off list.

Webb Mealy