[B-Greek] A Question on 1 Timothy 2:6 and the meaning of, ANTILUTRON ?

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Mon Nov 6 16:08:25 EST 2006

When citing a reference such as LSJ, you normally use the last actual revision date rather than the latest printing date.

Secondly, it's normally a flawed methodology to try to build the meaning of the word from its compound elements in Greek.  They often don't "add up," and this is especially the case in Hellenistic Greek, with the tendency to use compound where in Attic the simplex form was used.  The actual usage can only be determined from seeing the word in its several contexts.

With that being said (note the Genitive Absolute construction), ANTILUTRON is rare.  It at least means ransom here, as the context in 2:6 makes clear, but whether it has any extra-added nuance cannot be determined from the form, but only from usage, which we lack.  While Solomon's and Webb's suggestions are reasonable, we can't be sure, and I would avoid using the suggestions as any exegetical foundation...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Adjunct Faculty & IT Support
The Center for Urban Theological Studies
http://www.cuts.edu
Classics Instructor, The American Academy
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
And my site:
http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry